Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Beam Me Up Scotch Eggs

My friend Tammy is low-carbing with me right now, lucky for her she doesn't have much weight to lose. Somebody wise once said the person who joins a weight loss group, or starts out on their own to drop pounds with only a few to lose is the smartest person out there. I wholeheartedly agree - it's pretty dumb to wait until you're just so far gone you feel it's hopeless.
Anyway - I give you this recipe that Tammy recommended to me.

Ingredients:

4 Sausages (I choose the ones with very little ingredients...basically pork, and spices.
1 large egg
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper (I have a grinder)
6 hardboiled eggs

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a cookie sheet. Peel the cooled hardboiled eggs and put off to side. Take sausage meet out of it's casing (I find it cheaper to buy sausage in the casing then ground pork meat), and mix well by hand the egg, cheese, salt and pepper. Once it's all blended together, the trick now is to get the meat to surround the egg. It takes a bit of practice, but it does work. It might feel a bit too slimy because the one egg really moistens it up. Once all the eggs are covered, you can place each one onto the cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until the sausage meat is done. I put a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top of them as well.

Variations:

There are MANY variations you can use for this, including diced onions, garlic, and peppers. You just slice them up finely and add to the meat. You can also use more then just sausage meat. My friend enjoys using ground turkey, ground beef, and ground pork. I was also thinking about rolling them around in either the parmesan cheese or flax meal. When I went to research this on the Internet, there was also recipes for a creamy dipping sauce that sounded good. People use this recipe as an appetizer, though I ate it as my main meal. Anyway - this was delicious and highly recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! We look forward to your recipe submission and review :o)