Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pasta with Peas and Pancetta

1/4 lb pancetta, diced (I suppose you could sub regular, un-flavored bacon--no maple, no hickory...)
2 Tbs butter
1 small onion, diced
4 baby portabella caps, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced very fine
1 c or more heavy cream
1 Tbs fresh basil
1/2 c shredded parmesan cheese
1 box penne pasta
salt
1 c frozen peas
fresh ground pepper

Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add pancetta, cook till golden. Remove pancetta to a towel-lined plate. In the same hot pan, add butter. Add onions and mushrooms and saute until onions are translucent, and mushrooms start to soften. Add pancetta back to the pan. Add garlic and cook all till fragrant.

Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente in salted water. Add frozen peas in the last 2 minutes of cooking.

Add cream to pancetta pan, and allow to reduce some. Add basil, pepper, and parmesan cheese, stir in pan to mix.

Add pasta back to pasta pot. Pour sauce over pasta and stir to mix. Add more cream if needed.

Serve with shaved parmesan cheese.

Total cooking time was about 30 minutes. Serves 4 or more

1 comment:

  1. Tonight when I made it, I didn't have peas. I used 6 baby bella caps, and when they and the onions were done cooking, I added about a half a teaspoon - a teaspoon of dried thyme. Then added the pancetta back to the pan. Then I added about half a cup (who measures!?!) Of white wine (pinot grigio, so kind of sweet/crisp). I let that cook and evaporate for about a minute before adding the cream. I also didn't have enough cream, so I made up the rest of the liquid with whole milk.

    The wine suggestion is thanks to Katie, and I think it totally deepened the flavor of the sauce. I was also much more judicious with my butter, and I think it came out much silkier.

    I will continue to perfect this recipe, but I think it is getting close

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! We look forward to your recipe submission and review :o)