Sunday, March 14, 2010

Honey Wheat Bread

From Betty Crocker Best Bread Machine Cookbook

I am scared of bread. The only way that I have even considered making yeast breads is via a bread machine, which I got for my birthday last month. This was the third loaf of bread I made. The first two were white breads, and didn't turn out as I had hoped--dense, dry, but tasty. I made this on a Saturday morning, and there were 2 slices left over on Sunday evening. It is just that good. This bread will probably be a staple in our house

Follow your bread machine's instructions for ingredient placement. Quantities are for a 1-1/2 lb loaf

1c plus 1 TBS water
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c honey
1-1/2 c bread flour
1-1/2 c whole wheat bread flour
1 TBS plus 1-1/2 tsp vegetable shortening
1 TBS dry milk powder
1 tsp bread machine yeast or quick active dry yeast


Add ingredients to bread machine, use Light or Medium crust setting, and Whole Wheat or Basic/White cycle. Cool on a wire rack before slicing.



Through trial & error with my first two loaves of bread being very thick and dense, I decided to sift the flour into the measuring cup before measuring. Scoop flour into sifter, sift into measuring cup. I suspect I used significantly less flour than if I had measured straight out of the canister, and I think that's what contributed to this bread's much lighter, airier and moister texture than the two white loaves I tried. I always level and scrape all my measurements, because I know what an exact science baking is.

I omit the dry milk powder, and so this bread is safe for my dairy-allergic son.

Spray the inside and the pouring spout of a measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray before measuring honey--it slides right out with no mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! We look forward to your recipe submission and review :o)